The former high school and junior high is an Art Deco Modern Movement structure built in 1937. Altered in 1957, 1964 and 1982, it now serves 130 students in grades K - 6.
The scope of work included:
- New windows and doors (windows have surface-applied muntins to resemble the original)
- Brick and stone repair and cleaning
- New room finishes and casework
- Code and environmental system improvements
- Plumbing, power, lighting, data and communications upgrades
- Sidewalk, driveway and parking lot renovations
- Floor plan modifications, including administration area redesign so visitors would have to enter the waiting area before accessing the building.
The existing Trombe wall in-stalled in 1982 remains to en-hance energy efficiency. Central’s renovation would have earned a sustainable rating had it been pursued.